Dental Anxiety – What you need to know!
It is very normal to have a fear of the dentist, in fact nearly half of UK adults have a fear of going to the dentist, with 12% of these suffering with extreme dental anxiety.
People often use the words “anxiety” and “phobia” to mean the same thing, but they are different. If you were to have dental anxiety you will have a sense of uneasiness when it comes to your appointment, you’d have exaggerated worries and fears, however dental phobia is more serious. Dental phobia is an intense fear or dread and people are terrified or panic stricken of going to the dentist. There is a big difference between the two.
Here are a few tips to help ease any dental anxiety you may have:
1) Find an understanding dentist, someone who is recommended by a friend may help. This will help with your own self reassurance when it comes to visiting the dentist for your appointment.
2) Once you’ve found somewhere where you feel comfortable pop down and talk to the receptionist/team and let them know your worries and how you feel. They will be very accommodating and willing to talk to you and make you feel really comfortable.
3) Pick an appointment time early in the morning so you have less time to dwell on it. This allows you to just get it over and done with.
4) Agree a sign with the dentist to signal that you need a break and want them to stop. It can be as simple as pointing your finger, and will help you feel more in control.
5) Ask your dentist if it’s alright if you can listen to music during the appointment, this will allow you to relax and stay calm.
When it comes to having your teeth checked, especially if you have dental anxiety it is important to stay in control and ensure that you feel in control. Our team are understanding and will never pressure you into continuing if you feel like you need a 5 minute breather. At the end of the day we want you to have lovely teeth and we will help you do that!
Let us, help you!
If you’d like to know more about how we can improve your smile, the team at JM Dental Plymouth, will only be too happy to help. For more information on our smile plans, 0% interest free finance and other options please contact one of the team on 01752 222625